They say that bigger is always better. Here at Orange Security we generally agree…other than when it comes to the number of direct camera feeds that your security camera recorder will take. We don’t sell a recorder that will take more than 16 direct camera feeds for several reasons. Once you get over 16 direct camera feeds, systems become more and more complicated and unwieldy. It is often better to split the entire system into 2 or more smaller systems.
The advantages this provides are:
- Natural built in redundancy to your security camera system either from breakdown, fire, theft or malicious damage
- More control over what is recorded and where
- Gives you the ability to locate recorders in different areas of the site to make wiring and installation as easy as possible
- Usually the ‘cost-per-camera’ is less when having multiple smaller systems
- From experience testing many of the larger models available, they are actually less reliable and fail more regularly
Connecting the multiple recorders to the network gets around the only real downside and still enables the same access and full control.
We have run into most of the above issues regardless of technologies used.